So I think it’s pretty clear now… Kara and I don’t mess around when it comes to knocking your taste buds off their feet (…if taste buds had feet). Here is our finial of the “Duff Till Dawn Trio”, the DE-LISH “Southern Take on Chocolate Cake”.
This light chocolate cake is soaked in bourbon simple syrup, filled with caramel buttercream and topped with bourbon candied pecans! Kara put it all into one amazing package tied together with butter and sugar. *pssst* Change your house pants before you rush out to the store, silly 😉
Find the other two flavors of the trio:
- Vanilla Cake with Passion Fruit Buttercream and Raspberry Filling
- Honey Apricot Cake with Tonka Bean Buttercream and Pignoli Crunch
Bourbon Candied Pecans
Chopped pecans 8 oz.
Brown Sugar 4 oz.
Water 1 oz.
Whiskey 2 TBSP
Butter 1 TBSP.
– Combine water, whiskey, and sugar in a medium sauce pan and cook to 234°F.
– Remove from heat and add pecans.
– Stir continuously and quickly to coat all nuts with sugar; they will begin to crystallize and should separate rather than clump.
– Place the pan back over medium heat and stir continuously. This will toast the nuts as the sugar begins to caramelize.
– Add butter to the nuts once the sugar has caramelized and coat evenly.
– Pour the caramelized pecans out onto a silicone baking mat and spread out, separating them into individual pieces or small groupings as much as possible while they cool.
– Once cooled, chill in the refrigerator for 5 minutes.
– Remove from refrigeration and chop with a chef’s knife to small, bite sized pieces.
And last but not least, the buttercreamy goodness!
Kara’s Salted Caramel American Buttercream
Yield: about 4 cups
Unsalted Butter, room temps 1 cup (8oz; 2 sticks)
Confectioners’ (powdered) sugar 3.5 cups
Vanilla bean paste* 1 tsp
Caramel Flavor Paste 2 tsp
Sea Salt, flaked ¼ tsp
Heavy Cream** 2 TBSP (or till desired consistency)
What to do:
– In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment beat the butter on medium speed until light and fluffy.
– Stop the mixer and add all confectioners’ sugar, vanilla bean paste, caramel flavoring, and sea salt. Mix on medium speed until well combined and light. Scrape down the sides.
– With the mixer on low speed, add cream one TBSP at a time till desired consistency.
– Scrape down sides one more time and beat on medium speed for one minute.
* you can use extract if you do not have paste
** you can use whole or reduced fat milk in place of heavy cream, but come on, you’re already eating rich cake. just go all the way. 🙂
Bourbon Simple Syrup
Sugar 1 cup
Water 1 cup
Bourbon 3 TBSP
What to do:
– Bring all ingredients to a boil in a small sauce pot and remove from heat as soon as boil is reached.
– Allow to cool before brushing on your cake.
(yes, the alcohol cooks out and only leaves the flavor behind. the kiddos won’t get schnockered on this cake.)
Layer this goodness up and enjoy! I prefer to refrigerate for just a bit before cutting.
Guess what else we have for you?! All those hard to find delicious pastes (we use them in all the Duff Till Dawn Trio of recipes)
5-pack includes 2oz containers of each:
And… free shipping!!